cook time: 20 MINUTEs
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato kasundi
- 1 cup diced brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced ginger or crushed ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric(optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- Chopped coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Rinse the lentils and place in a medium saucepan with water.
- Put heat on medium and let the lentils to cook for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium pan, heat the oil and add onions, ginger and garlic.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent, ginger and garlic are fragrant.
- Add the lentils, turmeric, Tomato Kasundi and salt to the pan.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- When lentils are almost cooked add the spinach leaves until they wilt.
- Season with salt as required. Turn off.
- Garnish with coriander. Serve with basmati rice, naan or flatbread.
Replace spinach with cooked zucchini cubes or roasted eggplant cubes or roast pumpkin.